How can the Queensland Training Ombudsman help?

The Queensland Training Ombudsman:

  • is the single point of contact to help you with your enquiry
  • receives and, where appropriate, investigates complaints about vocational education and training (VET) matters in Queensland
  • provides advice to consumers on navigating Queensland’s VET sector
  • advocates or undertakes reviews to resolve apprenticeship or traineeship disputes
  • monitors outcomes of complaints to identify systemic issues impacting on the provision of quality VET delivery
  • refers matters to the appropriate agencies who can handle your complaint and support you to resolve your complaint
  • undertakes educational and promotional activities about VET and VET quality in Queensland.

Who does the Queensland Training Ombudsman help?

The Queensland Training Ombudsman helps people seeking information or advice about any aspect of the Queensland VET system including:

  • students enrolled with RTOs
  • apprentices and trainees
  • employers
  • trainers
  • other government agencies
  • training providers
  • industry bodies
  • parents and/or guardians.

Do you provide language support?

The Queensland Training Ombudsman can arrange for translation and interpreter services to assist you in submitting your enquiry or complaint.

What is the cost of assistance provided?

The Queensland Training Ombudsman’s services are free.

Is my enquiry or complaint confidential?

If requested, all enquiries are completely confidential.

If we need information from a third party (like an industry body, RTO, employer or other government agency), then written consent may be required, and possibly provided, to a third party. This will help the Queensland Training Ombudsman to resolve the complaint.

Please note that your right to confidentiality may be waived if legislation mandates information disclosure.

Can I make an anonymous enquiry or complaint?

Yes, the Queensland Training Ombudsman will accept anonymous enquiries and complaints.

How do I submit an enquiry or complaint?

There are two ways you can submit an enquiry or complaint:

Complete the online form

Phone: 1800 773 048

Can someone lodge a complaint on my behalf?

Yes, another person can lodge the complaint on your behalf.

To do this, you must provide written consent before any action can be taken.

What should I include in my complaint?

For the Queensland Training Ombudsman to investigate the issue and determine the best course of action available, you need to provide enough information for us to fully understand the nature of your complaint.

See our handy checklist.

How long will it take to resolve the complaint?

We endeavour to complete 50% of complaints within 30 days.

In most cases, complaints and enquiries can be addressed more quickly if comprehensive supporting documentation is provided.

If the complaint involves the Queensland Training Ombudsman having to deal with legislative issues or negotiate with other agencies and/or jurisdictions, resolution may take longer.

However, we’ll keep in regular contact with you to keep you informed throughout the process.

How will my complaint be managed?

When the Office of the Queensland Training Ombudsman receives your complaint, we will:

  • register your complaint and provide you with a reference number. You will need to quote this number whenever you contact us
  • assess the complaint to determine if we can address it and that it meets our criteria for investigating complaints.

After we consider the issues, we may:

  • provide you with information and advice so you can manage the complaint yourself
  • facilitate a meeting between the parties concerned
  • communicate directly with the other party or parties on your behalf
  • undertake an independent review.

How can I withdraw my complaint?

You need to provide this advice in writing either by email or by mail to PO Box 15090, City East Qld 4002.

Can the Queensland Training Ombudsman provide legal advice?

No. The Queensland Training Ombudsman cannot provide you with legal advice or act on your behalf in legal matters. We will advise you on when you should engage legal counsel.